A Greek Recipe – Giouvarlakia (Greek Meatballs with egg-lemon sauce) is a great dish , now that the autumn season has started, temperatures go down and along with that, light summer dishes switch to warm winter recipes.
The Greek kitchen has amazing salads, fish, and seafood for hot days, but when it is getting colder, Greek people prefer oven dishes, warm soups, and meat.
In contradiction to what you might think, cooking a Greek dish does not always have to be complicated.
Today we will teach you a great example of a simple and tasty dish, which you can prepare on a colder day: “Giouvarlakia”…..or Greek Meatball Soup!
In other words, we will prepare meatballs with egg-lemon sauce. The ingredients are simple and it does not take much more than half an hour to prepare.
Although this Greek dish is not categorized as “a soup”, actually that’s what it is.
So let’s get started!
Ingredients for giouvarlakia
500 grams minced meat (beef or half-half beef + pork)
1 cup of peeled rice
1 large grated onion
Finely chopped parsley
Finely chopped dill
Salt & pepper
For the egg & lemon sauce
Juice from 1-2 lemons
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Make small meatballs.
3. Bring water to boil in a pan.
4. Put the meatballs in the water with some olive oil and salt.
5. Boil them at 100 degrees for about 20 minutes.
6. Take the pan off the fire.
Egg & lemon sauce
1. Beat the egg white(s) with a mixer.
2. Add the yolk(s) and beat again.
3. Add the lemon juice while beating the mixture.
4. Pour some hot gravy from the meatballs in the sauce.
5. Pour the sauce in the pan with the meatballs and stir.
Καλή όρεξη! Enjoy your meal!
Interested in cooking one more dish? Then try to make stuffed tomatoes —->
or the traditional Moussaka!