23/2/2014 : a sad day… Here a special tribute to Dora Stoimenidou, who was a very good friend, partner, colleague and one of the beloved Omilo teachers for 13 years. Dora was teaching during 85% of all the OMILO courses between 1999 and 2011, so most of the Omilo students have met her or had Dora as their teacher during that period.
It’s very difficult to accept and comprehend that our smiling Dora , who loved life and wanted to live it all, lost the battle for her life at the age of 45. We have shared so many unforgettable moments together, for so many years. Our thoughts are with her beloved partner Markus, her mother and her sister. We would like to express our sincerest condolences.
- Dora was born and raised in Thessaloniki.
- Graduate of the School of Philosophy, Pedagogy and Psychology, Faculty of Philosophy, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- While living in Athens, Dora was employed at Omilo in 1999.It was her very first experience teaching “ Greek to foreigners” or “Greek as a second language”. Loving her new job and the contact with students from all over the world, she became a very devoted, experienced and loved teacher. Dora has been teaching with the OMILO-team in Athens, Nea Makri, Limni (Evia), Nafplion and on the islands Hydra, Syros and Andros.
- She is one of the authors, together with her Omilo colleagues Marina Braila and Konstantinos Oikonomou ,of the Greek Language Book Φύγαμε για ελληνικά! (Off we go to learn Greek!).
- In 2010 Dora fell in love with Markus from Austria, an Omilo-student at that time, on the island of Syros.
- In October 2011 Dora moves to Vienna, Austria. It was mentioned in the Omilo Newsletter of October 2011. From then onward she lives in Austria where she was involved professionally in teaching Modern Greek at the VHS as well as private lessons. She many times expressed how much she liked Austria, the Austrian people and experienced very happy times with the love of her life.
- Dora was teaching one more time for Omilo, during the 2012 September courses on the island of Syros.
- In July 2013 Dora was diagnosed with cancer. She stayed positive till the end and did everything possible to fight and get well, but unfortunately her type of cancer was very complicated and aggressive. She died in Austria on February 23rd, 2014.
Let’s remember her, as we all remember her: positive and with a great smile.
For those that did not meet Dora for many years, here below a small video of 2011, together with teachers Terpsi, Konstantinos and Marina. Dora does the talking and wishes the OMILO-students a “Kalo Xeimona” (a nice winter).
Dora, “kalo taksidi”. Καλό σου ταξίδι Δώρα.